Saturday, January 17, 2009

Travel Thots

If someone walked in with a pointer, or lab, or most likely any size dog right about now, I'd probably jump up and down with delight. Four days without canine contact sucks. Perhaps I'm being a weeny about it, but face it, dogs anchor me.

On the other hand, I enjoy going to market. Sure it sounds glamorous to be paid to shop. But it is work - really it is. No, I'm serious here. Quit laughing at me. I'm working my little fingers and toes to the bone. Surprisingly, it's my eyes, feet and shoulders that get a workout here. And my brain, in no particular order. Those of you who know I'm not the fastest at calculating numbers will appreciate how mind numbing it can be for me. Or wait, maybe my mind is just numb about numbers. Market is like boot camp for my brain. I keep showing up, but it's too soon to tell if I'll survive.

A few little travel tips I've learned. Always have a back up pair of shoes. Pack the Advil. A few Tums can be a lifesaver (lesson learned this trip!) If you don't know - ask. Smile, even when you are tired. Never turn down a free cocktail. Tip the driver.

All this said - take time to enjoy the view. Be it the people - great people watching at market - or the landscape. One should never be too tired to observe.

And lastly, remember your grounding rituals even when away from home. I find I forget to pray when I'm busy at market. What a silly thing to do. When we are busiest we need that extra support our spiritual life gives us. At this point I pray for strength to make wise buying choices, energy to sustain me, and a dog (or two or three) to refresh me.

No comments: