Friday, September 19, 2008

Couch Potato

We have created a monster. His name is Sidney. If there was a 12-step group for dogs like him they would assemble in a room full of sofa's and couches. One-by-one they would all raise a paw and say "Hello, I'm _______, and I Am A Couch Potato".

I've known Sidney enjoys curling up on the sofa. I often find him snuggled in there. Tonight, though, he had to share the sofa. He nose was rather out of joint. Reno was stretch out on the sofa, and I was sitting at his feet. That left approximately 11 inches of space for Sidney. He climbed up, wedging himself between me and the arm of the sofa. Struggled to turn his customary 3 circles and eased as much of himself into the 11" space as he could. As he sank down, part way, he let out a huge sigh. In dog speak it was "cripes, what have they done with my sofa???"

Even I was feeling cramped so I moved. It was a race for space. Fortunately (or not, depending on who you ask) two human legs stretched out before four canine ones could. That left no room for Sidney at all. What?? How could that be? He wandered the front room like a lost soul. He tried his crate, the floor at my feet, he tried in vain to find room to snuggle on the sofa. He tried his crate again, the tried the floor again. And looked, oh so longingly at the sofa.

It was time for desperate measures. Gingerly he climbed up on the sofa and staked his place between the human legs. A dog's kingdom is his couch. And he would not be usurped by a mere mortal. After all, in Sidney's world four legged creatures are more deserving than two legged ones. At least that is what he read in the Couch Potato Bible for young pointers.

No comments: