Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rest for the Weary

There is only one thing I would change about dogs if I could. I would give them the ability to understand that once in a while Mom gets to (needs to, wants to) sleep in. They would realize, WOW, they were out late last night, bet they/she would like an extra hour of zzzzzz-time in the morning. In response, they would all curl up in their little warm balls and nap for another hour, heck, maybe even longer.

OK, maybe this isn't going to happen. If the birds always start singing about the same time, then no doubt the rabbits start hopping, and bugs wake and stretch too. The dogs are creatures of habit as well. It's pretty much 6:30am and they are ready to start their day. Too bad I'm not.

Still I manage to roll my sleepy body out of bed, pull on some clothes, and venture out into the dewy fall morning. Naturally, now that they have done their 6:30 am business and been fed, they are napping again.

Would it really upset the natural order of the world if Mom got to sleep in? Apparently my dogs aren't willing to risk throwing the earth off its natural axis to find out. So we start the day early, on sleepy feet (at least the human ones) and race outside to pee and see what the world looks like.

That's life. That's life with dogs.

No comments: