Saturday, September 6, 2008

Guy Tips - Messing Up 101

A tip for the guys - which may prevent you from being in the dog house. If you miss an important birthday or anniversary. Don't, I repeat, don't place the blame anywhere but squarely upon your own idiot self. There is no shame in owning that you are an idiot. And there is much to be gained by quickly fixing this error. Now, I don't condone giving elaborate gifts to suck for for being stupid. A gift is given for loving purposes. Not because you messed up. I'd rather have one diamond given in love, for the right reasons, than the Hope diamond given to make up for self stupidity.

A sincere apology, from the heart will go a long way. After that, then perhaps some chocolate may smooth the way. The important part is not the chocolate (I know, hard to believe) it is the effort made to right the wrong and rebuild the trust and love. After that, add chocolate.

Now, I know women have moments of idiocy too. I've made some huge blunders, in the name of love, for good reasons, and still had them blow up in my face. It happens. And believe me I'm sorry for those times.

The words I'm sorry, I was wrong, I screwed up.......can we try again. And a thoughtful gesture, perhaps some chocolate, would be a nice touch. It guess it all boils down to words and actions. They have to match. When they do relationships work better, go smoother. Still there will be bumps in the road. And I think those are good things. Bumps shake us up and help us shake things down into a better place.

And yes, I know owning mistakes can be humbling. But loving requires this of us. At least at that point you have done your best to let the hurt begin to heal. If you play your cards right, you may just get to share the chocolate, and all the other sweetness a relationship brings.

No comments: