Friday, September 26, 2008

To The Bosses Of the World

Excuse me. Yes, it's me talking. Could I have a word with you? I'm one of your long-term employees. I don't make a fuss, I'm here everyday, you count on me as if I was your right hand. When life gets complicated I keep the home fire burning. No worries. I have your best interest at heart.

Trouble is, I'm such a fixture you may not even notice me. Sometimes bosses do that. So do spouses and friends for that matter. I give and give to your organization. And it's given me back so much. Don't forget that what I invest needs to be reciprocal. Teams only work if both are active in the process. Please don't step on me in your quest for success.

Excuse me. Yes, it's me talking. Could I have a word with you? I'm one of your new employees. I'm just learning the ropes here. Treat me with patience, understanding, and lots of verbal instruction. I'll make some mistakes along the way. But that is how we learn. If I am well trained, valued and respected I'll work both for you and with you.

Excuse me. Yes, it's me talking. Could I have a word with you? I'm a former employee of yours. You may, or may not remember me. I will remember what I learned from you. What you model reflects how much value you have for people. It mirrors what defines success in your eyes, and what you will do to get it. It shows if you are part of the team, or if the "team" is just lip service.

Excuse me, I know you are busy. Thank you for hiring me all those years ago. Or for hiring me last month. Thank you for being a former employer. Thank you for the lessons you teach. May they be lessons you would want to learn yourself. Taught with honor and consistency.

No comments: