Monday, September 29, 2008

First Thing - Last Thing

First thing in the morning and last thing at night I let Prince Kobe out. He's an old boy, age unknown really. Not very active, content to lie in his bed, or on the sofa or recliner and just survey his kingdom.

Right before I retire for the night, I call him down to go outside one last time. He drags himself from his warm nest much like I drag myself out of my warm bed in the morning. With great reluctance.

Game old dude that he is, he ambles out, almost to the edge of the porch and squats to pee. This old guy pee's like a race horse. He cleans off his paws, turns and heads back inside. He eats, sleeps, wags his tail, and eliminates. He does all that is required to him. He rarely barks (only at irritating fosters), he doesn't howl or whine, he does fart.

And in the process, he brings joy to my day. I hope when I reach the unknown age he is I take life with half as much grace as he does. And I pray someone cherishes me in old age just as I do him. And may they know what a privilege it is to take him out first thing and last thing.

No comments: