Monday, September 1, 2008

Gifts

I got some fun gifts for my birthday. Thankfully, no one gave me a cane or a walker. I did get a gift that only a 50 yr old could appreciate. It is a bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine. If that doesn't take you right back I don't know what will. I'd be surprised if it has either apple or wine in it, but for many of us testing the alcohol waters in "the day", that's what we sampled.

I celebrated being 50 at the same time my Mom is celebrating being 87. I asked her at dinner, what she would have done over in her life time. She related having four kids at home, a husband who was on the road, and no car. She'd have liked more time to herself. I can understand that. My question is one that we can all consider. What would I/you/we have done differently???

I'd have finished college, gotten dogs earlier, not taken so much crap. I'd have laughed sooner, drawn more lines in the sand, saved more money, and been more gentle with myself. I would have said no, and yes, and that's a load of crap. I would have listened to my gut.

Gifts take many shapes and forms. I received cards, flowers, wine, a great dog book, chocolate, skin lotion, candy. I received hugs and love. And I received a chance to look back, and to look forward. And I enjoyed the gift of gratitude - for all the presents that life has gifted me with.

And yes, the best is yet to be.

No comments: