Friday, September 19, 2008

Not Quite A Year

Where were you just about a year ago? Were you anticipating something wonderful? Were you dreading an outcome? Were you wishing changes would occur? Were you lost and floundering? Were you counting blessings beyond measure?

It's been not quite a year since Reno moved to Omaha. I'm not sure he knew what he was getting into with my doggy-dog world, but he has been a trooper. Of course, he brought his own doggy dog to add to the pack. She alone has reason to celebrate almost a year here.

Combining households was not easy. His stuff, my stuff, stuff we have to keep because we just can't part with it. There is no valid reason to keep it, other than it has been a part of our lives. Some parts of our other lives need to stay with us.

There were times I swore he was trying to erase me. There were times he swore - that's it, he just swore. I really couldn't blame him. There were times he wondered if his organized approach to life had met it's match with my not-so-organized approach to life. I wondered that too. Many times I resisted tossing something we didn't need. Only to willingly pitch it several weeks later. Even if I recognized it as junk, I had bonds with that junk. Bonds are sometimes hard to break.

We have made one major purchase over the year. The queen sized bed had to go. Two people and 3 dogs in a queen was not enough room. Add to the fact the bed was a hazard to begin with, and it was a necessity, not a luxury. We've had two foster dogs over the course of this first year, and had an adult child move home. Luckily we've had him move out faster than we've placed fosters. We've laughed, we've cried a time or two. I've learned that I don't really understand men, and he confirmed he doesn't really understand women. At least, we are both clueless there.

After living on my own for 10 years, I thought it would be more difficult to share my life in "that" way again. Truthfully, it's been a blessing. I can't thank him enough for moving half way across the country. Although, no doubt it helps he was moving to the land of great football. Of course, he will tell you that land is Oklahoma, but I beg to differ.

So I have to give thanks for the journey we began in earnest last October. It has been divinely led since the first email we exchanged so many years ago. And the saga continues - thanks to the big guy upstairs.

No comments: