Monday, September 22, 2008

Murphy's Law of Plumbing

We've had plumbing issues since Saturday afternoon. I maintain, you really don't know someone until you've traveled (IE, moved cross country) with them, done remodeling with them, been with them while they are inebriated, or have the flu (neither are pleasant) and done plumbing with them. As many things as Reno and I have shared, until now, plumbing has not been one of them.

Murphy's law of plumbing is that your drain will close off exactly when your dishwasher is full to capacity with dishes waiting to be washed. And yes, we used paper plates, no biggy there. It was the lack of clean glasses that became problematic. Not so problematic that I felt compelled to wash dishes in the bath tub however.

We used draino, a 12 ft snake, more draino, boiling water, some enzymatic cleaner stuff the plumber sold me for the floor drain, more draino, the power of positive thinking, the 12 ft snake from the basement (since the plug was not in the sink area). After than we still had no success. I say "we" like I was actively involved in the toil and sweat of this endeavor. Mostly I was sweating the lack of clean glasses.

It was time to get serious. I called my sister-In-Law, and said, "I'm not quite sure how to say this, but how big is Pat's snake". I need one bigger than a 12', preferably 50'. Well, after the laughter subsided, she made me ask him! Luckily he has a wonderful selection of tools. We (there I go again) tried the 25 ft one, and then used the 50 ft snake. For Reno it was a first, having lived in Reno for 35+ years he never had to snake a drain. Everything runs down hill there. I'm sure he was excited in a "Tim The Toolman" sort of way.

At present, we are crossing our fingers and running the dishwasher. Hopefully, it was all about having the right tools for the job. Hopefully, I can pay my personal plumber with warm fuzzy's instead of a professional plumber $200 just to look at it. Time will tell.

No comments: