Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Juggling...... Thank You Very Much

I may not know how to juggle, but I gave it my best shot today.

I had made a batch of satin balls for Sidney. Satin balls are high calorie meat balls full of eggs, oat meal, hamburger, cream cheese, milk, peanut butter, and wheat germ. If that doesn't help a dog put on weight I don't know what will.

So.......I have a pan of satin balls, about 24 or so, that I am moving from the garage freezer to the kitchen freezer. I open the door, hit the edge of the pan on the corner of the freezer door and find myself juggling 24 meat balls. I'm thinking, if these hit the floor all four dogs will think the heavens opened up just for them! The pan hangs precipitously, almost sliding to the point of no return, I'm reaching as far as I can the other way towards the counter trying to grab the other cookie sheet to catch them if they fall. It was a moment worthy of Carol Burnett. I snag the other pan, clap it underneath, securing the meat balls in the equivalent of a cookie sheet sandwich. Phhfeewww - feeding frenzy narrowly averted.

Now, the dogs might not find that breathtaking save to be worth a rats pa toot. But in the realm of close calls it was a worthy rescue. I'm thankful I could do that. Just as I am thankful for the dogs, for the opportunity to foster, for the roof over our heads and the food on our table.

I'm thankful for you who read my blogs and share my life. I'm thankful that all those years ago I bought a little ball of lab fur named Abby. She began this journey into dogs, and the dream to save just one. And yes, I'm thankful it didn't rain meatballs today. Although it would have been great fodder for America's Funniest Home Video - Juggling Meatballs edition.

No comments: