Sunday, November 16, 2008

So Thankful

We are so thankful this year we are having three thanksgiving dinners. Proof yet again, I may be certifiable.

The first was the beginning of this month when all of Reno's family was in town. How could we not prepare one then? The second one is a another tradition - having my son and his college friends over for a turkey dinner before semester breaks and they all head home for Thanksgiving with their families. Maybe I just like feeding college students. Is there a more appreciative bunch of eaters in the world? I don't think so. Plus one of the roommates insists I make the best gravy in the whole world. Right up there with his Grandmother's. Pretty heady compliment there I tell you. We are preparing that feast today. This will be the last year I'll be able to do this dinner. My son will be done with classes in December and walking for his diploma in May with his two roommates. My only regret is I didn't begin this tradition their freshman year.

The third dinner will be on Thanksgiving proper. We'll feed my family of origin. I'm wondering if I'll be turkey'd out by then.

Today's feast is already easier than the first. For example the fridge door has been fixed which eliminates the anxiety of it perhaps coming off in my hand whenever I'd cautiously open it. The turkey I bought is an uncooked one - amen to that. Thus, I will have a place for stuffing. So that surprise won't completely freak me like the last turkey did. Always a good thing not to freak out the cook.

Maybe by the last dinner I'll be ready to try a complete new menu for Thanksgiving day. While I love the traditional recipes, I also enjoy trying new ones. I could go completely wild, but that might freak out the guests.

If it sounds like a lot of cooking - you are right. But I love feeding people. And all the blessings we have, big and little, two footed and four footed, family and friends, blessings of old and new ones on the horizon give us reason to give thanks. Some people would drink to that - I believe I'll cook.

No comments: