Saturday, November 29, 2008

Takes You Right Back

If I was to hazard a guess, it's been 27 years since I've baked cranberry bread. But there is a loaf in the oven right now.

My Grandmother used to bake this for us long ago - probably 27 yrs ago. It was a Grandma thing - not so much as a Mom thing. But some things take you right back and this was one of them.

At the store I work at we sell the cutest little ceramic loaf pans with holiday designs on them. When we are busy I go up and sack. I sack, rather than run a register, because there is not enough Prozac in the world to make a cashier out of me. But, baby, I can sack with the best of them. Plus, that gives me a chance to visit with our customers.

I once worked in a store where my work station was right outside the public rest rooms. When there was a line I got to chat with many people. I can initiate and hold a 2 minute conversation with anyone about anything. Who would guess those skills would come into play later in life? Suffice it to say I've sacked a bunch of these little pans and cooking/baking is a universal topic. Wrapping and the topic of baking naturally led me to cranberry bread which brought back thoughts of my Grandmother. And before the customer was out the door I knew I'd be buying fresh cranberries.

Funny how chance encounters, random comments and distant memories will take you right back. Funny how good that bread smells right now. I'll bet the taste will take me back too. Sometimes looking back can be a nurturing thing.

No comments: