Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Pain In the Gas

I tried to fill up my truck with gas this morning. One wouldn't think it would be that difficult. After all, gas prices are down. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg, the dreaded sticker shock at the pump has subsided.

I practically danced into the station in anticipation of the $1.73 per gallon price. First pump I stopped at didn't want to play my game. The screen where you press the payment buttons had an error message that would not go away. The help button wouldn't provide any help. So I went to drive to the next set of pumps. That one had bags over the handles. No help there. I wish I could put bags over my handles..... So I pulled into the third row and begin pumping. Except it was pumping in slow motion. If it was pumping at all. It took over two minutes to pump 1/2 a gallon of gas. Crikey, didn't they know I was already late for work? Did the God's of gas pump karma have to frown on me today?

Frustrated I quit pumping, and of course, it would not give me a receipt. So I walked inside for my receipt for $1.20. I mentioned their pump issues and then drove to the next station down the road. There the pump did everything it should, except I pressed the wrong button and was pumping the $1.83 per gallon gas instead of the $1.73 per gallon gas. That would not do!

Why do you suppose it was such a pain in the gas today? Truthfully, I don't know. A lesson in patience? Maybe. A lesson in futility, definitely. Bad car-ma? Beats me. All told I got about 6 gallons of gas. Maybe tomorrow I'll try again. Like they say if at first you don't succeed. Try, try again. Gas should not be this tough.

No comments: