Sunday, November 2, 2008

Surprises of My Own

File this under things you don't expect when you have 17 out of town guests.

You don't expect your refrigerator door to come off in your hands. Yep, that can be a big surprise. Yes, profanities are the first things out of your mouth. It's a good thing I have always considered myself to be the Queen of Plan B. Maybe all those years of single parenting have served me well.

You also don't expect when you take the turkey out of the wrapper that it would be the fully cooked variety. Who freaking knew they even sold Fully Cooked Turkeys!!!! Holy crap Bat Man. I'm going to need to learn some new profanities.

Knowing the physical impossibility of thawing a frozen turkey in time for today's dinner, we are moving quickly to plan B. Reheat the cooked turkey, cook the thawed turkey breast I have on hand, and run to the store for turkey parts to cook for the sake of gravy. Isn't gravy the whole reason we cook turkeys anyway? Nothing but homemade gravy will do. I can forsake the quality of the stuffing, but definitely not the gravy. Desperate measures for desperate times.

You may wonder at a critical time like this that why I would take time to blog. Well, blogging is a good outlet, and heavy drinking was not a viable option at this time of the day.

Okay - back to the kitchen, and on to make breakfast. Maybe I better have a little chocolate first in case there are further surprises.

No comments: