Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Random Thots - Post Party

Aim high, but be prepared for things to somehow go not quite as planned. The best thing about that is you get unexpected humor in the process. And sometimes a few tears of frustration. Case in point, it's still pretty funny when you pull the refrigerator door and it comes off in your hands. Funny for like a millisecond. Then it's just a pain in the butt.

It might be wise to ask in advance about special dietary or health nuances. I plumb forgot about the family members who are vegetarian and gluten intolerant. Pet allergies were an issue too, but frankly I could only do so much. I did that to the best of my ability, and then had to not take it personally. Thankfully we could enjoy the patio and the 70 degree weather. In a few weeks when it's freezing we'll reminisce about the party and the great weather we enjoyed.

I learned that even if you are completely exhausted from planning, cooking and cleaning up....labors of love are entirely worth it.

I learned that getting a group of 17 to go sight seeing is like herding turtles. Add to that needing several vehicles each with a passenger/driver who knows the city can be a logistical nightmare.

I learned that a party with mostly adults needs those three teenagers and one 11 yr old boy to really bring us to our knee's laughing.

I learned that the local gas station that is named "Kum & Go" is freaking hilarious. I've grown up with it so didn't realize it was such an amusement or photo opportunity. Thanks to this party I've Kum to be really proud of it.

I've learned with a group this size to schedule in one meal of just left overs. Luckly I still have a son in college who can bring in a team of hungry boys to help us out.

I've learned that 50th birthday parties should not be done only every 50 years. Life is short, family and friends are precious beyond measure, celebrations should be regular events.

I've learned to always stock a second set of batteries for your camera. Hindsight really is 20/20.

Mostly I've learned how blessed I am to love Reno, how blessed we both are to have such wonderful family and friends who love us, support us and who would travel so far to celebrate with us.

We may not party as late as we used to, or as hard - but we know the memories we made will last a life time.

No comments: