Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What? You Want Me To Go Out?

With the colder, wet weather we have discovered a new side to Sidney. Several words come to mind to describe him. They are - stubborn, pig headed, prone to selective hearing when being called, one might even call him a cold weather sissy. This is the same dog who when it's warm and sunny runs the yard all day.

Now that it's cold one practically has to drag him outside to do his business. Right before we go to bed at night it's last potty call for the dogs. Everyone (the dogs, that is) has to go out. When it's cold it's more difficult to rouse all of them from their various nests to venture forth. Last night I nearly had to do back flips to get them all up and headed to the door. But after many 'come on dogs, let's go, here we go, let's go outside' I had them all alert and headed for the door. I open it up and one, two, three dogs shoot out into the rainy night. And Sidney?? He indulged me by running to the door and then running back to his big pillow on the sofa. Uh uh, ain't going out Mom - it's wet and cold out there. Surely you don't expect me to go out there. Don't mind me I'll just snuggle in here where it's warm and dry.

I foresee a long winter ahead with one totally reluctant foster dog. If he thinks it's too cold to go out now, he is in for a big surprise. One can only hope he finds his forever home in a more temperate climate where he doesn't have to endure the cold, wet and/or snowy weather.

3 comments:

Maggi said...

Nancy - I have the same problem with my Jack Russell ... he will stick his nose out, see/hear rain and tell me "forget it, he's not going out in that crap." My next step then is to say "squirrel" and out the door he goes - doesn't matter if daylight or dark, if he thinks there is a squirrel in the corner, out he goes.

N. Bachmann said...

Lol - I doubt my pointer is as smart as your JRT. Too funny.

N. Bachmann said...

On second thought, maybe my pointer IS the smarter of the two!!