Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thankful Is As Thankful Does

Okay, so maybe I'm paraphrasing Forest Gump. I don't think he'd mind.

Of the three pointers pulled from a rural Oklahoma this summer - two have found their forever homes. As I understand it, all three originated from a local breeder who resided very close to the shelter they ended up in. All three endured sweltering heat, and bitter cold in a metal, four run shelter.

Two went into foster care on the East Coast. Sidney stayed here in the Midwest. The other two have been adopted, and with Sidney, we trust it's just a matter of time. Time passes all to quickly, and all too slowly. We are always racing ahead. Or looking back. Sometimes simultaneously.

It's countdown to Thanksgiving week. Normally, I feed 20-25 of my siblings and extended family dinner. This year none of them will be attending - honestly, I've never given them food poisoning. For various and sundry reasons they aren't coming, and while part of me is sad, another part of me sees infinite possibilities here.

Our table will feed my four most favorite people in the world, and no doubt there will be 5 dogs and possibly a bearded dragon in the front room. We will all be able to sit down at the same time, at the same table.

It may take me all week to count my blessings. Thankful is a process, a life choice. Thankful is what allows us to open up to new things, good things, and find the beauty in old things, familiar things. Thankful is as thankful does.

And gratitude allows us to wait in peace for good things to unfold. Just like it did for the other two Oklahoma dogs - just like it will for Sidney.

No comments: