Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Best

I made the best soup the other day. In fact, it was the best soup I have ever, ever made. Probably the best I will ever make. I can say that because I always have a Ziploc bag in the freezer with little dabs of left overs and soup fixin's. I'll never have that exact combination of fixins again. It was so good the Soup Nazi would have saluted me. It was a treat because so many times when I cook I end up thinking - that was good, but I'd do this different next time. Or it was tasty, but not quite perfect. This soup was the cat's meow.

I also made the worst Bourbon Balls the other day. Now, I know, you are wondering how bad could a bourbon ball be? Anything with sugar, bourbon and chocolate couldn't be that bad. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, or didn't do right, but they refuse to roll into balls. The flavor is good, if you don't mind hacking them out of the bowl.

Funny how in the same week, day, or even moment we can both do our absolute best and our absolute worst. Cooking is like that, people are like that, life is like that.

Perhaps part of that is attitude. Choosing to find the good in things. Although no amount of attitude would make those bourbon balls do their thing. That is where you just have to laugh at the outcome. Sometimes you get the best, sometimes the worst. The end result is purely a matter of choice. I believe I'll have the best, thank you very much.

No comments: