Friday, December 19, 2008

Gifts

Call them co-worker gifts, associate gifts, doorman gifts, gifts for teachers, hair dressers, no doubt some folks give gifts to their chauffeur's. I don't fall into any of those categories. Heck, no one gives their florist a gift for the holidays. No, not griping, just a random (but true) observation.

As a boss, I do give a few gifts to my employees. No, not all expense paid trips to exotic places, no furs, cars, or Prada bags. Unless I find one at the thrift store that is. I do have an employee who has a bunny. She loves her bunny like I love my dogs. So my gift this year is treats for Truffles the bunny. I know she probably doesn't splurge on Truffles, so I'm excited to help with that. I had no clue what bunnies like, so I went to an outside consultant. This bunny consultant (who is also sort of my sister-in-law) gave me all the dirt on bunny extravagances. If in doubt go directly to an expert!

I also hope to get a gift made to take up to the vet clinic staff. I'm certain it's not necessary. After all, I've bought my vet a house and will put his kids through college. Still a small token would be nice. I'm thinking of making a garland of edibles for the birds in their yards. Similar to pine cone bird feeders, without the pine cone, peanut butter and bird seed. Somewhere I read of stringing popcorn, grapes, cranberries and raisins. That's the plan. If you'd like to come over a night this weekend and help make them the door will be open, a fire going in the fireplace, and we'll open some wine. Who knows, maybe Martha Stewart will swing by with some nifty tip on making them. Lord, I hope she brings her staff along so we can drink while they work.

On a personal note (like all of these aren't personal notes) I did receive a gift from another business we are affiliated with. It is a gift certificate for a hair cut at a local salon. I think it's a darling idea, although maybe they are trying to tell me something.

Still, it's the thought that counts - and basically we could all stand to be more thoughtful of others. At Christmas, and every day of the year, gift thanks (yes, I did mean gift-thanks) to those who share your life. And don't forget your florist.

No comments: