Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dog Presents

Let me say this - I have not gotten into the habit of buying Christmas presents for the dogs. I must not be that far over the top for the dogs More likely the money just doesn't stretch that far. They do have ornaments on the tree, and I need to start adding one for each foster we have. I'll get Pete and Sidney's done this week.

Mickey is my pet therapy dog. He gets a present each year from the gal's at the hospital we do our visit at. They love us, we love them, pet therapy is a win-win situation. One year we got picture frames that have dog paws on them. Kobe's picture is in that one back when he was doing therapy work. Another year they had coasters made with each dog's photo on them. Very cool gifts.

Yesterday they had Mickey's gift waiting for him when we arrived. He received a Christmas stocking. Visualize a plush stocking with a soft musical dog head at the top. Functional and entertaining. The ears flap up and down as the song plays. The lyrics say "I get so excited (about holiday gifts) my ears go flippity-flop, I get so excited I think my head is going to pop."

We played the song for Mickey at the hospital. He's a pretty cool dude during his visits so I believe professional decorum hid his real excitement. I played it for all the dogs later that evening. Maddie took Mickey's laid back approach to it, Sidney cowered a little and was highly skeptical. Kobe thought it would make a wonderful chew toy! Kobe got the message from the lyrics.

May you be so excited your ear's go flippity flop. I love that thought! Most of us go through the holidays missing that kind of excitement. Dog understand the logic, in fact live with that exuberance.

So my wish for you is this. May you have friends who love you with gifts just like Mickey received. And may you be so excited your ears go flippity flop.

No comments: