Friday, December 12, 2008

Mission Accomplished

Four years ago, and one semester, my second son left for college. Okay, left is a relative term. He left for freshman year leaving behind a bedroom full of his stuff. He came home between freshman/sophomore years and set up another bedroom in the basement and then left behind a second room of his stuff. Not to mention the fish tank in the garage which he's been going to take with him for over two years now.

I am proud to say he sent me a text today telling me he is officially done! Done as in done with all his classes. Done as in ready to graduate. Those of you who have kids in college know that not everything they say is the complete truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Basically, it's better we don't know. But, I know this is true because the college has already had him sign papers on repayment of his school loans. And I have no doubt whatsoever that the financial aid office staff is having a rip roaring party today. Every one of those women who helped him with the financial aid process has no doubt wanted to hang him at sun down more than once.

Come to think of it, I've wanted to do that myself. The time he called to say he'd been thrown out of the dorms comes to mind. Followed immediately by the time he admitting to taping a conversation with the Dean of Students (without the Deans approval or knowledge) regarding said expulsion. Now that I think of it, the local police in that small college town will have trouble writing their quota of citations without him in school there. Or perhaps they will all attend his graduation ceremony in May since they know him so well.

Not that it's all been harrowing escapades during his college career. Those are just the ones I know about. He played soccer all through college and some of his soccer bud's are like second sons to me.

And while I'm doing the happy dance for his accomplishment I have to say he is the first child in my family, including my siblings and all of their kids, to reach this goal. I'm danged proud of him. His next goal is Grad school in the Fall for his MBA. Of course he brought that up when I said as soon as you finish school you have to start paying your own car insurance.

Sign me - One Proud Mom of a College Graduate

No comments: