Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Winter Thots

No, I'm not a rocket scientist. But here are some simple winter driving rules.

1. In case no one ever told you - slow down.
2. In case you just plain forgot - slow down.
3. In case you are just an idiot - slow down.
4. Watch out for the other guy who has not read rules 1-4.

Also - parents - put a hat on that child!! I must be getting old. When I see small kids without hats and gloves, in 10 degree weather, a crabby, nosey person emerges from me with an incredible urge to chastise someone for not dressing kids right for the weather. Now, I understand 'tweens and teens wouldn't be caught dead in a hat, heck most adults won't wear them. But those little ears, heads and hands count on you to dress them right and keep them warm! As I say, I must be getting old - I wear a hat, and gloves, and I go slowwwww in the snow. My Mom would be proud of me.

My apologies to Mickey today too. He and I did our weekly pet therapy visit. I think he would have tolerated the walk in and out better if there was just snow. But there was a heavy layer of salt on the sidewalks and parking garage. Half way to the building, and then again half way to the car he all but quit walking because his paws hurt! Dogs don't understand if you cross the distance faster (in direct contrast to rules 1-4 above!) your paws will quit hurting sooner. It's rather embarrassing to carry a dog who could run in the field for miles. Unless, of course, his paws hurt. I ended up picking him up and carrying him part of the way. Not good for my back, but good for picking up the pace. Poor dude!

In other words..... It's time to go slow Joe. Just put on a hat Pat. The salt stops the slick Mick. It's time to beat feet Pete. Try not to skid Sid. And watch out for the other guy Di.

No comments: