Sunday, December 21, 2008

Random Holiday Thots

We went to a Christmas party last night. It was either our first annual or second annual (depending on which one of us you ask) visit to this party. I maintain (because I am a woman, hence always right) it was our second annual. Reno claims otherwise. I won't bore you with his version. The host and hostess always dress up for this party. She in her Mrs. Claus dress with fishnets and heels, and he in a red blazer, Christmas tie, and white beard. The guest book is in the bathroom. Eventually everyone ends up there anyway. Every room of the house decked out for Christmas, right down to the window treatments and bedding. Even the dogs were decorated with season collars, hats and antlers. Well, one dog had his hat on. The other dog who reportedly had antlers at one point didn't have them when we arrived. That might explain the main floor toilet overflowing. Little Herbie Husker the dachshund just might not have been antler material. My guess is his antlers resembled the ones in How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Thus the need to destroy (or flush) the evidence.

Good news is we finally have gifts under the tree. The two gifts that arrived in November when we had Reno's surprise party were placed there yesterday. Heck, I didn't even know they were in the house!

Growing up gifts were never put under the tree until after the kids went to bed on Christmas Eve. After all, Santa brought the gifts. I can remember snooping - yes, I was that kind of child. Mom would have sacks of wrapped presents in her room. Now, in my defense I didn't actually open anything. I just needed reassurance I'd be getting something.

Even now it's hard to break that tradition and put gifts under the tree early. Perhaps I need to practice, practice, practice. Sometimes we just have to do a new thing until it feels comfortable.

And speaking of gifts under the tree - it must be time to get cracking on the wrapping. The day of celebration draws near. Perhaps in wrapping and giving gifts we can learn to unwrap our love and faith. Which, of course, is the reason for the season.

No comments: