Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Gifts

It's that time of year - we tend to speed up, in an effort to get everything done, rather than slow down to enjoy the moment.

I'd like to challenge you. Why? Because I can. Because I will challenge myself in just the same way. A friend and I were discussing the holidays recently. How we feel less inclined to decorate, to buy scads of gifts etc, etc, etc. It seems the older I get the more difficult it is to give really meaningful gifts. And the less I am willing to give easy insignificant gifts. It is a gift giving dilemma during a commerce driven holiday. It is totally confusing. We are bombarded with sales and promotions, shell shocked by the current economic situation and it's Christmas time.

Even in tight times we can give the gift of our self. Sadly, it is easier to give the gift of a object or thing, than to give of our self.

So, this is our challenge: give a gift of your self. A gift of time, words of kindness, laughter. Write a love letter (to your spouse, your kids, a friend, heck, even perhaps your boss), write a thank you letter. Find the time and patience to sit down and share something with someone. Sure it's easier to give things, but do we really need more things?

And I ask this - let me know, if you will, this gift you give and the experience of doing it. Rather like the Gift of the Magi - we need to give in order to receive.

No comments: