Monday, December 22, 2008

Knowledge of Self

Okay - I have to admit something. I generally get the blues a couple days before holidays. The holiday isn't even here yet, and I'm sad it's over. I have a blue day, and then, as quick as it comes, the sadness is gone again.

In some way's working in retail exacerbates this. We shop for the next Christmas season two weeks into January. We start Spring in January, Fall in June, Christmas in August. We are always racing ahead to the next season. Granted racing from Christmas to Spring seems mighty tempting right now.

We push so hard to get through the busy season that it's a let down when the big day arrives. Add to that a dose of reality that the dollar didn't stretch very far, the "family" we long for may not be the one we actually have, the dream gift we always wanted may not ever materialize. I know, it's not like me to look at life less than optimistically.

I should be wrapping, crafting, baking, shoveling, working on the scarf I'm making for Christmas (maybe for Christmas next year, that is). There are a few more cards to be written too.

I do have to believe I'm not alone in these feelings. I'd like to get it all done - but it isn't going to happen. I know tomorrow I'll feel perkier, more in the spirit.

Today isn't forever. The blues will pass. They always do.

No comments: