Thursday, December 11, 2008

Random Thots - Shoes

I did something today that the youth of the world will probably think is archaic. I polished my shoes. Strange, but true. I can remember my Father polishing his shoes. I was fascinated by the cans of polish with their neat little lids that twisted off. Reno has a shoe shine box - and it's pretty cool. It has brushes, several cans of polish, special clothes for rubbing with. Just like my Father's shoe shine kit. It takes me right back. While my shoes don't look brand new, they do look tons better. And I felt some pride in cleaning them up.

Speaking of shoes. We went out for a business dinner last night and I wore heels. I had to buy some because I am truly shoe challenged. I am of an age where comfort almost always comes first. However, sometimes a woman wants a pretty shoe. Pretty does not equal comfortable. Orthopedic does not equal pretty. I didn't have anything suitable for cold weather dress shoes. So on my lunch break I ran out and got a pair. I invested about what one would expect for a pair of shoes I might wear 2-3 times max. If I had been able to find some at a consignment shop I would have. They passed muster and were not terribly uncomfortable, not bad for a dress shoe. Until today that is. Today my shins hurt like an aging sedentary athlete who ran a marathon. They hurt like a son of a gun. If shins could scream, mine would scream bloody murder. Did I mention they hurt?? Ahhh, the price we pay to look pretty. I'm so glad I only dress up a couple times a year.

So there you have it, no pain, no gain, no pretty feet dining out. And, if all else fails polish, polish, polish. Sometimes the old ways still work, and it is satisfying to invest yourself in a better presentation.

No comments: