Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mom would you.....

There is almost no way to respond to a question that begins with "Mom would you...." except to say yes. Well, at least when they were young, and now that they are older. During those teen years, the no's came way more than the yes'.

My oldest son called the other day. He and some buddies are going camping for several days. You don't have to tell me they are crazy to camp/hunt in this weather. I know it. He began with the camping part and then said the other guys Mom's are fixing this and this for them to take and would I make something too. It's not like these guys are boy scouts. They are young adults, will full time jobs and other responsibilities. I guess, however, you are never to old to sucker you Mom into cooking for you. There was no way on earth I could say no to that question.

One Mom made chili, the other made pasta salad. Ok - I have to ask who eats pasta salad in the winter (much less takes it camping)?? That one seems really bizarre - but I may be a habitually seasonal eater. Not to be outdone, I made a huge pot of chicken and chorizo gumbo. I believe I made enough to feed an army. They will love it. Personally, I thought it was going to put hair on my chest.

Maybe these boys are smarter than your average bear. After all, none live at home, but they can still finagle a hot meal from dear old Mom. Maybe Mom's just need to be needed and this request fills that need. In that case they are pure genius.

Either way they get a good meal, or two, or three. I'm happy to cook, and delighted it's not me camping out. I guess it's all good. Hopefully as good as the gumbo.

No comments: